We have updated our Privacy Policy. You can find out more here.
For Equine Vets Everywhere

EU exit and moving equines

If the UK leaves the EU on 29 March 2019 without a deal in place there will be changes to the way that equines are moved from the UK to the EU. 

Equine owners will need to take steps to prepare for a potential no deal and should consult a vet at least six weeks ahead of when they are intending to move their equine to the EU.

This is because if the UK leaves the EU without a deal, the UK will become a third country. Depending on the type of third country the UK becomes, equines entering the EU from the UK will be required to undergo blood tests within 30 days or less of travel to prove the absence of certain diseases.  

There would also be changes to the documentation required for an equine to move to the EU from the UK. 

If the UK is not granted listed status and becomes an unlisted third country, then no equines will be able to move from the UK to the EU. 

What will I need to do differently after 29 March to move my equine from the UK to the EU (incl. horses, ponies and donkeys)?

Will this mean increased costs for owners?

What will the blood testing requirements be?

How often will a blood test be required? Every time a horse moves, annually etc.?

When should I consult my vet to start preparations?

Do I need to book an Official Vet to carry out the blood tests?

Do the isolation requirements outlined on Gov.uk mean that my horse shouldn’t compete ahead of a move to the EU?

What will happen if the UK agrees a deal with EU before March 29th?

What happens if the EU does not provide the UK with a listed status in time?

Will equines that had previously been moved under the TPA need to enter via a Border Inspection Post?

How will I know which Border Inspection Posts (BIPs) will accept equines? Will a BIP be built at Calais?

Will I need to pay any additional tariffs? What about VAT?

What about customs procedures in the EU?

How do I get an Export Health Certificate?

What documentation do I need for onward travel in the EU?

What is an Official Veterinarian and why my I use their services?

Will I need a Government issued equine ID document and, if so, how do I get this Government ID document?

Will the Government ID document replace existing equine passports?

If the EU does not recognise the UK’s studbooks, will all equines need a Government ID document?

I’m authorised to transport livestock – what do I need to do to continue to transport equines to the EU after 29 March?

What other arrangements do we need to have in place for staff to accompany horses to the EU or in transit?

Will my current UK issued transport documentation still be valid for transport within the UK?

So do I need two sets of documentation?

Should I travel through the major ports with my horses in a ‘No Deal’ scenario? What provisions will be in place to ensure horses aren’t stuck in queues

What changes will there be for importing equines to the UK from the EU?

What will happen to the Tripartite Agreement (TPA) when the UK leaves the EU?

How will the UK be able to negotiate a replacement for the TPA once we leave the EU?