18 Jun 2019 11:00 - 20 Jun 2019 16:30
This three-day course is designed to benefit those with a range of experience in reproductive and foal ultrasonography. The main emphasis is on practical sessions involving mares, foals and clinical cases. There will also be lectures to supplement and reinforce the practical sessions.
The first day will include a practical session designed to provide information enabling optimum setting of the machine controls to maximise processing of the image. In addition to the full range of BCF Technology machines available, delegates are welcome to bring their own machines to this session. This will be followed by three lectures to illustrate the general principals of ultrasound and its use in the normal and subfertile mare. The final session will be a workshop style presentation on embryo transfer.
Day two will be spent in three groups, two examining six mares at a stud farm in conjunction with one of the tutors. The third group will work though a number of mares as routinely presented to a stud farm. This group would suit the more experienced delegate. Rotations will allow plenty of time for discussion of the findings in each mare. There will be demonstrations of mare endoscopy and preparation of the AV as well as flushing the fluid-producing mare and smear preparation After the practical sessions there will be lectures on the gynaecological investigation of the barren mare, use of fresh-transported and frozen semen in the mare and a DVD illustrating the ultrasound features of early pregnancy and embryonic death in the mare.
The final day will begin with three lectures covering the use of ultrasonography in the late pregnant mare and foal. There will then be a similar rotation of groups as for the previous day as well as demonstrations of techniques in both mares and foals. This course also covers areas such as deep uterine insemination, embryo transfer and fetal sexing.
Fee: (Includes all meals, course dinner and accommodation)
BEVA Members £795
Key Learning Objectives:
• Understand the general principles of reproductive ultrasonography and its use in the normal and subfertile mare
• Understand artificial insemination, foetal sexing and embryo transfer
• Improve your skills in semen collection, thawing and handling of frozen semen
• Acquire skills in the assessment of foetal health and the late pregnant mare
• Learn supportive and basic care of sick foals
• Learn how to optimise the use of ultrasound technology in practical theriogenology
Suitable for RCVS Modules:
C-E.9 Mare Reproduction and breeding management; C-E.10 Stallion reproduction and
breeding management; C-E.11 Care and management of the foal and yearling,
stud farm management, herd health; C-E.16 Basic Equine Practice Part 2;
C-E.17 Basic Equine Practice Part 3.
Dr Jonathan Pycock BVetMed PhD DESM MRCVS - Yorkshire
Mr Ian Cameron BSc BVM&S CertEM(StudMed) MRCVS - Newmarket
Dr Kevin Corley BVM&S PhD DECEIM DACVIM DACVECC MRCVS - Ireland
Mr James Crabtree BVetMed MS CertESM MRCVS - Yorkshire
Mr Tullis Matson - Shropshire
Ms Monica Morganti BMedVet, DACT, DECAR, MRCVS - Shropshire
Mr John Spencer BVSc MRCVS - Shropshire
Terms and conditions:
- Cancellation more than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: A refund will be made less a 10% administrative charge.
- Cancellation less than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: No refunds can be guaranteed, but if BEVA can resell the place a refund will be made less a 20% administrative charge.
- Transfer of Delegate: Booked places can be transferred to another person. If the transferee is not a BEVA Member he/she will be liable for the difference between the Member and Non-Member delegate rates.
- Insurance: All delegates must have appropriate liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- Safety: Delegates must bring appropriate safety wear (coveralls, hard hats, boots etc) to courses involving practical sessions.
- Data Protection: I understand that BEVA may pass my details to the organisers or sponsors of the courses unless I have specified otherwise.
- Compliance: I am a qualified to undertake the procedures being taught, or I am in training for such a qualification, in which case I will make the organisers aware of my status.
By registering for this event, I confirm that I accept the above terms and conditions.