FULLY BOOKED: Fundamentals of Reproduction: The Mare
This course is now fully booked, to be added to the waiting list and contacted if a space becomes available please complete our short form below.
Add to Waiting List
Online and Practical
7+ CPD hours
About the course
The Fundamentals of Reproduction: the Mare will provide you with an introduction to assessing mares prior and during the breeding season for natural covering and AI programs together with identifying and treating the problem mare, pregnancy diagnosis and investigation of abortion. It is an ideal course to prepare you for your first stud season.
The course combines online learning and a practical day. Before attending the practical day you will have access to five online lectures including the breeding soundness examination including swabs and health requirements of the mare, the oestrous cycle and its management, preparing the mare for natural covering or AI, post breeding treatments and the problem mare, ultrasonography of the uterus and ovaries and the investigation of abortion.
Our online lectures will prepare you for your practical day at Twemlows Hall. Small group sessions will include breeding soundness examinations, subfertile mare, hormone use and routine scanning. For the practical sessions you will be split into small groups according to your scanning ability and advice will be given on routine scanning and decision making.
This course is part of our Fundamentals of Equine Practice series. By working with leading equine practices we’ve developed 10 practical courses that provide the essential skills necessary to thrive in equine practice. See the rest of the series.
What will I learn?
By the end of the course you will...
1. Understanding of managing mares on natural covering and AI breeding programmes.
2. Perform a breeding soundness examination of a mare.
3. Identification of the problem breeding mare and formulation a plan for investigation and treatment.
4. Interpretation of ultrasound examination of the mare reproductive tract in routine fertility management and pregnancy diagnosis.
5. Investigate an abortion, analyse findings, and formulate a plan.
"Excellent day to give confidence and and introduction to reproduction of the mare"
- Fundamentals of Reproduction: The Mare attendee
Course Organiser: John Spencer BVSc MRCVS, Shropshire
Frederic Barrelet DipVMS DrMedVet (Bern) MRCVS
Charlie Cooke BVetMed MScCertEM (StudMed) MRCVS
Kelly Harrison-Tait BSc(Hons) BVSc CertAVP(ESM) MRCVS
Monica Morganti Dr Med Vet DACT DECAR MRCVS
Vet member: £330
Non member: £660
This course is sponsored by
- If you book a place on a BEVA CPD course and are unable to attend due to any Covid-19 related issue you will receive a credit for the amount you paid. This credit can be used for any BEVA CPD and will be valid for a year from the date of issue. Please contact us as soon as possible if you are unable to attend a course.
- If BEVA are required to cancel or postpone a course for any reason, you can opt to receive a full refund or receive a credit for a future BEVA CPD course (valid for a year from the date of issue).
- A full refund will be made, less a 10% administration charge, if cancellation is more than 6 weeks before the start of the course
- A refund cannot be guaranteed if cancellation is less than 6 weeks before the start of the course. A refund will be made if BEVA can resell the place, less a 20% administration charge.
- Booked places can be transferred to another person free of charge. If the transferee is not a BEVA member they will be liable for the difference between the member and non-member rate.
- All delegates must have appropriate liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- Delegates must bring appropriate safety wear (coveralls, hard hats, boots etc) to courses involving practical sessions.
- BEVA may pass contact details of delegates to the organisers or sponsors of the course unless the delegate has specified otherwise.
- All delegates self-certify that they are a qualified veterinary surgeon or veterinary nurse and qualified to undertake the procedures being taught. Where the delegate is in training for such a qualification BEVA must be made aware of their training status at the time of booking.
By registering for this event, you accept the above terms and conditions.