FULLY BOOKED: Fundamentals of Sedation, Field Anaesthesia & Castration
09 Apr 2024
08:30 - 16:00
Leahurst Equine Practice,
Add yourself to the waiting list and we will contact you if a place becomes available.
Add to Waiting List
- Vet member: £330
- Non member: £660
7 CPD hours
About the course
Our Fundamentals of Sedation, Field Anaesthesia & Castration course combines online learning and a practical day to give you the confidence to carry out these essential procedures in equine practice.
Excellent for building confidence in anaesthesia as well as a safe space to perform first castrations
- previous course delegate
Before attending the practical day, you will have access to seven online lectures which cover all the theory. Lectures include case selection, methods of restraint, local anaesthetic procedures, field anaesthesia protocols, open castration techniques, discussing potential complications, and working with the emergency services
The practical day involves practicing regional anaesthesia techniques on cadavers (eg for placement of subpalpebral lavage systems and suturing wounds) and castration of live colts.
The online learning will be available to access at least two weeks before the practical and available for up to 12 months after the practical.
As you will be undertaking hands-on learning on live colts it is a requirement that you have completed all the online lectures before attending the practical day.
By the end of the course you will...
- Understand when and in which cases field anaesthesia is an appropriate choice
- Refresh/update your knowledge on different sedative drug regimens and doses
- Demonstrate practical skills in field anaesthesia
- Formulate a plan to perform an open colt castration
- Understand complications of castration, ways to minimise their risk, and how to treat them
- Review/learn other common local anaesthetic techniques
- Course Organiser: Ben Curnow BVSc MSc CertAVP(EP) FHEA MRCVS
- Dr David Bardell BVSc CertVA DipECVAA PGCert(LTHE) FHEA MRCVS
- Dr Alison Bennell BVMS CertAVP(EM) MRCVS
- Andrew Harrison BVSc CertEP CertVA MRCVS
- Prof Mark Senior BVSc PhD SFHEA CertVA DipECVAA MRCVS (online only)
This course is suitable for the following RCVS Modules:
Terms and Conditions
- If you book a place on a BEVA CPD course and are unable to attend due to any Covid-19 related issue you will receive a credit for the amount you paid. This credit can be used for any BEVA CPD and will be valid for a year from the date of issue. Please contact us as soon as possible if you are unable to attend a course.
- If BEVA are required to cancel or postpone a course for any reason, you can opt to receive a full refund or receive a credit for a future BEVA CPD course (valid for a year from the date of issue).
- A full refund will be made, less a 10% administration charge, if cancellation is more than 6 weeks before the start of the course
- A refund cannot be guaranteed if cancellation is less than 6 weeks before the start of the course. A refund will be made if BEVA can resell the place, less a 20% administration charge.
- Booked places can be transferred to another person free of charge. If the transferee is not a BEVA member they will be liable for the difference between the member and non-member rate.
- All delegates must have appropriate liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- Delegates must bring appropriate safety wear (coveralls, hard hats, boots etc) to courses involving practical sessions.
- BEVA may pass contact details of delegates to the organisers or sponsors of the course unless the delegate has specified otherwise.
- All delegates self-certify that they are a qualified veterinary surgeon or veterinary nurse and qualified to undertake the procedures being taught. Where the delegate is in training for such a qualification BEVA must be made aware of their training status at the time of booking.
By registering for this event, you accept the above terms and conditions.