Unravelling Unsoundness: How to Approach, Understand and Manage a Complex Case
14 Dec 2023 10:45 - 16:45
6 CPD hours
About the course
Few cases which present as poor performance or low-grade lameness are single-issue problems that are easily resolved; often the more one digs, the more complicated the picture becomes...
This course will help provide you with a structure for approaching complex cases, a way of interpreting how the pieces of the puzzle fit together, and a basic understanding of some of the management techniques, including where and how they can be used, even when facilities or funds are limited.
The programme will feature performance horse clinician and veterinary lead for London 2012 and Rio 2016, Liz Brown; renowned researcher, sport horse clinician and BEF team member, Rachel Murray; physiotherapists, Lee Clark, who is just completing a PhD on rider position, and Anna Johnson, also a veteran of numerous Olympic and World Championship support teams.
The day will be built around a fictional clinical scenario. The first session will explore how our experts would approach the case, the second session will look at how the various elements of the case intertwine and interact, and the final session will consider how the case might be managed. The emphasis will be on discussion, and delegates will be encouraged to engage in the debate throughout the course. There will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions.
What will I learn?
By the end of the course you will...
1. Have increased confidence in interactions between muscles, the way of going and its importance in poor performance
2. Be able to discuss the roles and importance of the physio and vet in managing complex cases
3. Formulate action plans based on individuals and the wider support available.
Course Organiser: Sarah Gasper BVM&S CertEP MRCVS
Lee Clark MCSP SRP BSc ACPAT
Anna Johnson MCSP.SRP. Grad Dip Phys. Category ‘A’ ACPAT
Rachel Murray MA VetMB MS PhD Dipl.ECVS Dipl.ACVS MRCVS
Non member: £350
RAMP member: £175
ACPAT member: £175
If you are a RAMP/ACPAT member and would like to book please contact email@example.com.
Discount available for International Arena performances
The London International Horse Show are kindly offering a discount on selected performances at the show for those that book this course.
A 25% discount will be available on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th price tickets for the Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon performances and a 20% discount will be available on the Thursday evening performance.
You can find out more about the performances here.
Terms and conditions
- If you book a place on a BEVA CPD course and are unable to attend due to any Covid-19 related issue you will receive a credit for the amount you paid. This credit can be used for any BEVA CPD and will be valid for a year from the date of issue. Please contact us as soon as possible if you are unable to attend a course.
- If BEVA are required to cancel or postpone a course for any reason, you can opt to receive a full refund or receive a credit for a future BEVA CPD course (valid for a year from the date of issue).
- A full refund will be made, less a 10% administration charge, if cancellation is more than 6 weeks before the start of the course
- A refund cannot be guaranteed if cancellation is less than 6 weeks before the start of the course. A refund will be made if BEVA can resell the place, less a 20% administration charge.
- Booked places can be transferred to another person free of charge. If the transferee is not a BEVA member they will be liable for the difference between the member and non-member rate.
- All delegates must have appropriate liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- Delegates must bring appropriate safety wear (coveralls, hard hats, boots etc) to courses involving practical sessions.
- BEVA may pass contact details of delegates to the organisers or sponsors of the course unless the delegate has specified otherwise.
- All delegates self-certify that they are a qualified veterinary surgeon or veterinary nurse and qualified to undertake the procedures being taught. Where the delegate is in training for such a qualification BEVA must be made aware of their training status at the time of booking.
By registering for this event, you accept the above terms and conditions.