FULLY BOOKED: Finding Answers After Life
20 Oct 2021 07:30 - 17:00
University of Surrey,
Join the waiting list
This course is now fully booked, to be added to the waiting list and contacted if a space becomes available please complete our short form below.
Join the waiting list
Who is the course for?
Suitable for all equine practitioners, regardless of career stage.
About the Course
The course will combine lectures, practicals, and a live Question and Answer session. In the morning, four hours of lectures will provide an overview of techniques that focus on how to approach the postmortem examination of the adult horse and the foetus/foal, as well as how to examine the placenta. They will also highlight with some examples of common lesions, some pitfalls to avoid during the postmortem examination, and how to optimise sample submission. These lectures will be recorded, enabling sessions to be reviewed at a later date.
In the afternoon, you will spend two hours in the postmortem room, examining macroscopic specimens. This practical session will cover a general approach to performing a basic postmortem examination on the yard or at the knacker’s yard, and collection of key specimens.
To conclude the day, you will join a live Q and A session with Dr Fabio Del Piero, an equine pathology specialist from the Louisiana State University School of Veterinary Medicine. NB Dr Del Piero’s lectures will be pre-recorded due to the time difference and shown by Dr Parry. He will be joining the live Q and A session at the end of the day.
Key Learning Objectives
- Develop an understanding of a logical approach to a postmortem examination
- Refresh your knowledge of some common postmortem findings.
- Be confident in what samples to collect and how to collect them to achieve a diagnosis. Interpret common findings and understand their application and relationship to the clinical presentation.
- Dr Nicola M. Parry, BSc (Hons), MSc, BVSc (Hons), DACVP, FRSPH, FRSB, FRCVS, RCVS Recognised Specialist in Pathology, University of Surrey School of Veterinary Medicine
- Dr Fabio Del Piero, DVM, PhD, Dipl. ACVP, Louisiana State University, USA
- Dr Marvin J. Firth, BVSc (Hons.), DipFMS, MRCVS, University of Surrey
- BEVA members £445
- Non members £890
Please be reminded of biosecurity requirements at BEVA CPD events, these can be viewed here.
Please note: you are required to make an online payment when booking via the website. If you would like to pay using a different method please contact us on +44 (0) 1638 723 555 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms & Conditions
- Cancellation more than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: A refund will be made less a 10% administrative charge.
- Cancellation less than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: No refunds can be guaranteed, but if BEVA can resell the place a refund will be made less a 20% administrative charge.
- Transfer of Delegate: Booked places can be transferred to another person. If the transferee is not a BEVA Member he/she will be liable for the difference between the Member and Non-Member delegate rates.
- Insurance: All delegates must have appropriate liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- Safety: Delegates must bring appropriate safety wear (coveralls, hard hats, boots etc) to courses involving practical sessions.
- Data Protection: I understand that BEVA may pass my details to the organisers or sponsors of the courses unless I have specified otherwise.
- Compliance: I am a qualified to undertake the procedures being taught, or I am in training for such a qualification, in which case I will make the organisers aware of my status.
By registering for this event, I confirm that I accept the above terms and conditions.