Monday, September 5, 2016
The Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) has contacted some 1,415 veterinary surgeons asking them to share their continuing professional development (CPD) records as part of its annual audit of compliance.
Under the Code of Professional Conduct veterinary surgeons are expected to demonstrate that they are keeping their skills and knowledge up-to-date by engaging in at least 105 hours of CPD over a rolling three-year period.
As part of the auditing process the 1,415 vets will be asked to share their CPD records for 2013 to 2015 by either allowing the College to access their online Professional Development Record or by sending the RCVS a copy of their CPD record cards.
The audit will focus on six groups:
• 585 vets who have not confirmed their CPD compliance when renewing their registration for two consecutive years;
• a random sample of 400 vets who said they were compliant when renewing their registration in 2016;
• 124 vets who were found to be non-compliant in the 2015 audit;
• 98 vets who did not respond when asked to share their records in the 2015 audit;
• 84 graduate veterinary surgeons who have not responded to any communication about the Professional Development Phase;
• And, 124 vets who said they were not compliant as part of the 2016 annual renewal process.
If any of the veterinary surgeons who have been audited are found to be non-compliant they will be asked to explain why and send a plan stating how they will make up the hours in order to become compliant.
All 1,415 veterinary surgeons that have been audited were contacted by email or letter on Thursday 1 September 2016. The deadline for sharing records is Friday 14 October 2016.
As part of the auditing process the College is also keen to remind veterinary surgeons that CPD encompasses a wide range of recorded activities, which can be clinical or non-clinical, including private reading/study, webinars, mentoring, clinical audit and discussion groups as well as attending seminars and workshops. More information about what counts as CPD can be found at www.rcvs.org.uk/cpd
Those with any questions about the auditing process or what constitutes CPD can contact Jenny Soreskog-Turp, Education Officer at the College, on email@example.com
This post was last updated on
Currently rated by 0 people