Fundamentals of Reproduction: the mare
04 Feb 2020 09:30 - 17:15
Who is the course for?
The course is designed for young vets, it is part of our Fundamentals programme. It would also be suitable for those who want to refresh their knowledge.
About the Course
The aim of the course is to provide new and recent graduates facing a stud season with an introduction to assessing mares prior and during the breeding season for natural covering and AI programs together with identifying and treating the problem mare, pregnancy diagnosis and investigation of abortion. Lectures will include the breeding soundness examination including swabs and health requirements of the mare, the oestrous cycle and its management, preparing the mare for natural covering or AI, post breeding treatments and the problem mare, ultrasonography of the uterus and ovaries and the investigation of abortion. Small group practical sessions will include monitoring the mare using ultrasonography and decision making, breeding soundness examination and investigation of infertility including hysteroscopy. Time does not allow for detailed training in ultrasound examination but this session will surround scanning and decision making and practical skills used during a routine fertility visit on a stud farm.
Key Learning Objectives
- Develop an understanding of the theory and practical skills for managing mares on natural covering and AI breeding programs.
- Learn practical skills in performing a breeding soundness examination of a mare.
- Be able to identify the problem breeding mare and formulate a plan for investigation and treatment.
- Interpret ultrasound examination of the mare reproductive tract in routine fertility management and pregnancy diagnosis.
- To develop the ability to investigate an abortion.
| ||Really useful course covering all aspects of repro to allow a good working knowledge for practice.|
- 2019 Delegate
This course has pre-learning which takes place on the online learning platform two weeks before the practical day. .
- John Spencer BVSc MRCVS, Shropshire
- Dr Frederic Barrelet DipVMS DrMedVet (Bern) MRCVS, Newmarket
- Mr Charlie Cooke BVetMed MScCertEM (StudMed) MRCVS, Yorkshire
- Mr John Spencer BVSc MRCVS, Shropshire
- Miss Kelly Harrison-Tait BSc(Hons) BVSc CertAVP(ESM) MRCVS, Gloucestershire
- BEVA members £240
- Non members £480
Full Course Programme
Please be reminded of biosecurity requirements at BEVA CPD events, these can be viewed here.
Kindly sponsored by
Note: only online payments are accepted when booking via the website. If you do not wish to pay online please contact the office on 01638 723555
Terms & Conditions
- Cancellation more than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: A refund will be made less a 10% administrative charge.
- Cancellation less than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: No refunds can be guaranteed, but if BEVA can resell the place a refund will be made less a 20% administrative charge.
- Transfer of Delegate: Booked places can be transferred to another person. If the transferee is not a BEVA Member he/she will be liable for the difference between the Member and Non-Member delegate rates.
- Insurance: All delegates must have appropriate liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- Safety: Delegates must bring appropriate safety wear (coveralls, hard hats, boots etc) to courses involving practical sessions.
- Data Protection: I understand that BEVA may pass my details to the organisers or sponsors of the courses unless I have specified otherwise.
- Compliance: I am a qualified to undertake the procedures being taught, or I am in training for such a qualification, in which case I will make the organisers aware of my status.
By registering for this event, I confirm that I accept the above terms and conditions.