Approach to the Moody Mare: behaviour, gastrointestinal, ovarian and musculoskeletal aspects
21 Nov 2019 16:45 - 19:30
This East Anglian Regional Meeting is designed to give practical advice to equine practitioners when faced with the complex problems associated with mares. There is often a fine line between what is classified as a behaviour, what is attributed to hormonal imbalances and what is caused by gastrointestinal or musculoskeletal pain. Many owners are heavily invested in ascribing sometimes vague and seemingly unconnected symptoms to their horses’ characteristics. At times reaching a diagnosis can seem like a perilous tightrope with the possibility to cause real offence to the horse’s caregiver!
This course aims to update the practitioner about recent advances regarding the diagnosis of behavioural, hormonal, gastrointestinal and musculoskeletal problems. This course should give sufficient insight to allow equine vets to tease apart the thorny issues of how much a “Moody Mare’s problems” are caused by pain, behaviour or hormonal abnormalities.
Rossdales Equine Hospital, Cotton End Road, Exning, Newmarket, Suffolk CB8 7NN
BEVA Student Members £25
KEY LEARNING OBJECTIVES
• Understand recent advances in the hormonal assays and diagnosis of granulosa cell tumours
• Stages of a gastrointestinal investigation for poor performance
• Tips for distinguishing genuine behavioural abnormalities from other similar medical rooted problems
• Common difficulties in ridden performance without lameness
Lewis Smith BVetMed, CertES(Orth), DESTS, DipECVS, FRCVS, Suffolk
Gemma Pearson BVMS, Cert AVP(EM), MSCR, MRCVS, Midlothian
Catriona Mackenzie BVMS, MSc, CertAVP(EM), DipECEIM, MRCVS, Suffolk
Jill Bryan BSc(Hons), MVB, DipECEIM, FRCPath, MRCVS, Suffolk
Rachel Read DVM, MRCVS, Suffolk
Terms and conditions:
- Cancellation more than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: A refund will be made less a 10% administrative charge.
- Cancellation less than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: No refunds can be guaranteed, but if BEVA can resell the place a refund will be made less a 20% administrative charge.
- Transfer of Delegate: Booked places can be transferred to another person. If the transferee is not a BEVA Member he/she will be liable for the difference between the Member and Non-Member delegate rates.
- Insurance: All delegates must have appropriate liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- Safety: Delegates must bring appropriate safety wear (coveralls, hard hats, boots etc) to courses involving practical sessions.
- Data Protection: I understand that BEVA may pass my details to the organisers or sponsors of the courses unless I have specified otherwise.
- Compliance: I am a qualified to undertake the procedures being taught, or I am in training for such a qualification, in which case I will make the organisers aware of my status.
By registering for this event, I confirm that I accept the above terms and conditions.