Practical AI - the essentials **FULL** Please conact the office to be placed on the waitlist
06 Feb 2018 09:40 - 17:00
The aim of the course is to ensure that delegates facing a stud season are fully conversant with the essential theory and practical techniques of equine artificial insemination.
Lectures will include health requirements and paperwork for both mare and stallion; semen collection, handling processing and shipping, assessment of the mare prior to insemination; timing of insemination for fresh, chilled and frozen semen; techniques of equine insemination and assessment of the mare after insemination.
Small group practical sessions will include microscopic assessments of chilled and frozen equine semen, handling of frozen semen and insemination of mares using conventional and deep intra-uterine techniques.
BEVA Members: £295
Key Learning Objectives
• To develop an understanding of semen collection, and processing techniques.
• To develop an in depth knowledge of the certification, health requirements and biosecurity associated with artificial insemination.
• To develop an understanding of the veterinary care of the mare pre and post artificial insemination.
• To develop the ability to prepare and assess semen (fresh, chilled and frozen) prior to insemination.
• To develop the ability to perform conventional and deep uterine insemination techniques.
Suitable for RCVS Modules:
C-E.9 Mare Reproduction and Breeding Management; C-E.10 Stallion Reproduction and Breeding Management; C-E.16 Basic Equine Practice Part 2
John Spencer BVSc MRCVS
Frederic Barrelet DipVMS DrMedVet (Bern) MRCVS
Charlie Cooke BVetMed MScCertEM (StudMed) MRCVS
John Spencer BVSc MRCVS
Terms and conditions:
- Cancellation more than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: A refund will be made less a 10% administrative charge.
- Cancellation less than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: No refunds can be guaranteed, but if BEVA can resell the place a refund will be made less a 20% administrative charge.
- Transfer of Delegate: Booked places can be transferred to another person. If the transferee is not a BEVA Member he/she will be liable for the difference between the Member and Non-Member delegate rates.
- Insurance: All delegates must have appropriate liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- Safety: Delegates must bring appropriate safety wear (coveralls, hard hats, boots etc) to courses involving practical sessions.
- Data Protection: I understand that BEVA may pass my details to the organisers or sponsors of the courses unless I have specified otherwise.
- Compliance: I am a qualified to undertake the procedures being taught, or I am in training for such a qualification, in which case I will make the organisers aware of my status.
By registering for this event, I confirm that I accept the above terms and conditions.
Kindly Sponsored By:
AI and EI Centre,
Note: only online payments are accepted when booking via the website. If you do not wish to pay online please contact the office on 01638 723555