Who is the course for?
The course is designed for newly qualified Vets, it is part of our Fundamentals programme. It would also be suitable for those who want to refresh their knowledge.
About the Course
The aim of the course is to provide new and recent graduates facing a stud season with an introduction to assessing mares prior and during the breeding season for natural covering and AI programs together with identifying and treating the problem mare, pregnancy diagnosis and investigation of abortion.
Lectures will include the breeding soundness examination including swabs and health requirements of the mare, the oestrous cycle and its management, preparing the mare for natural covering or AI, post breeding treatments and the problem mare, ultrasonography of the uterus and ovaries and the investigation of abortion.
In response to delegate feedback a new session has been added to this course. Delegates will be split according to scanning ability and practical hands on scanning teaching and advice will be given on routine scanning and decision making.
Key Learning Objectives
- Understanding of managing mares on natural covering and AI breeding programs.
- Perform a breeding soundness examination of a mare.
- Identification of the problem breeding mare and formulation a plan for investigation and treatment.
- Interpretation of ultrasound examination of the mare reproductive tract in routine fertility management and pregnancy diagnosis.
- Investigate an abortion, analyse findings and formulate a plan.
Good speakers, good venue, good everything.
- 2019 Delegate
- John Spencer BVSc MRCVS, Shropshire
- Dr Frederic Barrelet DipVMS DrMedVet (Bern) MRCVS, Newmarket
- Mr Charlie Cooke BVetMed MScCertEM (StudMed) MRCVS, Yorkshire
- Mr John Spencer BVSc MRCVS, Shropshire
- Miss Kelly Harrison-Tait BSc(Hons) BVSc CertAVP(ESM) MRCVS, Gloucestershire
- Member price £260
- Non Member price £520
- Full Course Programme will be added here soon
Terms & Conditions
- Cancellation more than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: A refund will be made less a 10% administrative charge.
- Cancellation less than 6 weeks prior to the start of the course: No refunds can be guaranteed, but if BEVA can resell the place a refund will be made less a 20% administrative charge.
- Transfer of Delegate: Booked places can be transferred to another person. If the transferee is not a BEVA Member he/she will be liable for the difference between the Member and Non-Member delegate rates.
- Insurance: All delegates must have appropriate liability and professional indemnity insurance.
- Safety: Delegates must bring appropriate safety wear (coveralls, hard hats, boots etc) to courses involving practical sessions.
- Data Protection: I understand that BEVA may pass my details to the organisers or sponsors of the courses unless I have specified otherwise.
- Compliance: I am a qualified to undertake the procedures being taught, or I am in training for such a qualification, in which case I will make the organisers aware of my status.
By registering for this event, I confirm that I accept the above terms and conditions.