We have updated our Privacy Policy. You can find out more here.
For Equine Vets Everywhere
RESIDENT IN EQUINE MEDICINE
Short Profile
UNIVERSITY OF LIVERPOOL FACULTY OF HEALTH AND LIFE SCIENCES INSTITUTE OF VETERINARY SCIENCE DEPARTMENT OF EQUINE CLINICAL SCIENCE
Job Number:
0894
Job Category:
Veterinary Surgeon
Job Type:
Full Time
Area:
North West
Published:
2/1/2019

Job Description

RESIDENT IN EQUINE MEDICINE  
£28,660 pa 

 

This 4 year residency programme is supported by and based in the Philip Leverhulme Equine Hospital (PLEH) at the University of Liverpool’s Leahurst Campus on The Wirral Peninsula. The Equine Hospital has state of the art facilities and excellent multidisciplinary specialist support. You will primarily support clinical academic activities while you concurrently receive a broad training in equine internal medicine. You will be expected to undertake research in biosecurity and infection control, complete a Masters degree as well as fulfill the criteria to sit the ECEIM Diploma. The post is available for 4 years from 29 April 2019. 

Your role within the PLEH is primarily to support clinical activities, rotation teaching and research, as well as CPD/Postgraduate education when required.  You will be involved in the daily small group teaching of fourth and final year veterinary undergraduates during clinical rotations and will be expected to attend a course on small-group teaching run by the University in Year 1. You will be involved in the initial evaluation and diagnostic work-up of cases, both during normal working hours and as a participant in the out-of-hours rota. Although you will spend the majority of your clinical time working on medicine cases, rotation through soft tissue surgery rotations will provide diversity in clinical training. Contribution to teaching will include clinical teaching to small groups during all weeks on clinics as well as specific responsibility in teaching the surgery, lameness and imaging rotation where day 1 skills in these areas are taught using teaching materials and teaching horses. The skills and knowledge acquired during these rotations will also assist you when performing out-of-hours duties. Out of hours duties are always supervised by a surgical and medicine clinician providing the resident with the necessary support. 

You will be required to register with the European College of Equine Internal Medicine (ECEIM) and to fulfil all of the requirements for eligibility to sit this examination by the end of the residency.  As well, you will be expected to enrol in and complete a master’s degree (by research or coursework depending on funding). This will include undertaking research training in biosecurity and infection control to combat antimicrobial resistant infections in equine hospitals that will lead to at least two papers for publication which are required for your credentials for the ECEIM Diploma. Preference will be given to candidates who have completed some or all of the modules required for the CertAVP prior to commencing the post and candidates who show an aptitude for research.  

You will spend 75% of your time on clinical rotations (approximately 39 weeks per year); holiday time, CPD and fulfilment of external weeks required for ECEIM training requirements will constitute the other 25%. There will be a 1 in 5-6 OOH rota for the PLEH and occasional OOH duties for the Hospital’s first opinion equine practice (approx. 2 weekends per year and occasional night duties on the resident 1 in 5 rota which is covered by the 5-6 hospital residents). Funding for CPD and travel will be £1,200.00 per annum. Depending on funding you will either be appointed as a lecturer with a pensionable salary (and a 20% employer contribution per annum) or a studentship in which case a comparable stipend will be offered. 

Job ref: 011009

Closing date: 21 February 2019

For full details and to apply online, please visit: https://recruit.liverpool.ac.uk   
(See Department of Equine Clinical Science and Academic teaching and Scholarship posts); or e-mail jobs@liv.ac.uk, please quote Job Ref in all enquiries. 
General information about the Faculty and department may be found at www.liv.ac.uk/vets or www.liverpool.ac.uk/equine/  



Company Information





Do you have questions about this listing?
Name:
E-Mail:  
Phone:
Message:
Further information for this listing:
Tell your friend about this listing.
Your Name:
Friend's E-Mail:  
Message:
Message sent successfully...